Saturday, August 2, 2008

Mom-hood

So I am sitting here in beautiful upstate New York, listening to my baby monitor and staring out my mother-in-laws window at her lush green meadow in her front yard and watching the trees sway with the mountain music in the wind. But, as beautiful as it is, there is somewhere even more breathtaking...the sparkling lake, where the rest of my family is, swimming and kayaking in the perfectly clear water surrounded by rolling mountains of wooded bliss. Unfortunately, my poor child still hasn't gotten used to the change in time zones and is falling asleep at the most random times and sleeping for even more random periods of time. Just as I was preparing his diaper-bag and hollering that I would be out to join the clan as they clamored into the cars, B-rax decided it was just the right time to close his eyes for a bit. So, here I am...and I have to admit at first I was a little bummed. Lately, it seems that having a child means sitting by the sidelines and watching while everyone else has all the fun. However, as I was contemplating this, I realized that although I do miss being apart of the excitement, I wouldn't have it any other way. Because I am the one who gets to rock him to sleep every night. I am the one who gets to see his first smile, his first laugh, wipe away his tears, hold him close when he is sad or hurting. I am the one who gets to see those special little smiles reserved only for me in those sweet moments of tenderness and love. I get to watch as my sweet little man looks up at the clear blue sky to see a bird take flight, only to see his eyes fill with wonder at the majesty of it. I am his first word, his first love. I get to watch as he experiences the world through innocent, pure, unadulterated eyes, and whats more...I am the one HE wants to share it with. I am his Mother. What greater calling, what greater blessing is there? I have yet to find one.

3 comments:

The Weights said...

Hey Caruso family! I'm so glad I stummbled upon your blog. Your little guy is so adorable! It looks like life is going great for you guys. And Sarah I totally agree with you, being a mom is so rewarding it makes all the hard times worth it just to see your child smile.

Joe , Larisa , and Abigail said...

That is beautiful and poetic, and so true!

mom said...

I love how discriptive you are. I enjoyed having everyone here. I understand how you feel about Brazton's first everything. You are a wonderful Mom. Love, Mom