Thursday, May 15, 2008

Mother's Day Misery

So my little baby boy had his first big accident this last Sunday. And on Mother's Day, of all days. I felt like a freakin' horrible mother. I was doing the dishes and preparing for my family to come down and have a nice lunch with us, and as we usually do I set Braxton in his carseat on top of the table. (Can you see where this is heading? Yea, I should have seen it too.) Well he was just sitting there talking to himself and playing with his feet and I turned my back for a second to wash something, when I heard a sick thud. I turned and the image I saw will be forever burned into my memory. My little boy was lying face down on the hard tile floor, and he wasn't moving. My stomach dropped into my toes and horror raced through my veins like a river. Did he crack his head? Did he break his nose or his ribs? WAS HE ALIVE?!?! Thankfully, (if you can be thankful in this circumstance) he took the full force of the blow to his bottom left side of his lip (and thankfully he has no teeth yet!) so there was no serious damage done. He poor gums were so swollen and under his tounge was black and red, and of course he had a fat lip, so he had a hard time eating the rest of the day. I had to feed him formula through a siringe, and every cry and every whimper just tore through me like a knife. I know these things happen, but when it happens to YOU it just is one of the worst feelings in the entire world. I bawled the entire day and into the next. I can't believe I had let this happen! Thank goodness for the power of the priesthood. Justin gave him one initially to calm him down and to go to sleep, then my father and Justin gave him a specific healing blessing later when my family arrived. He has healed quickly and even though it was horrible and I never ever want something like this to happen again, I'm grateful that it could also be a learning experience for me as a mother (NEVER PUT YOUR CHILD ON TOP OF A TABLE, just like the carseat pamphlet says...) and a faith builder through the priesthood blessings.

5 comments:

Alicia said...

Awww, Sarah, how awful for you and Braxton! I'm so sorry! These kinds of things happen to all of us, but you always feel so bad. Anyway, good for you for looking at the "positive" of gaining a stronger testimony of the priesthood. I'm so glad that Justin & your dad could help Braxton feel better. :)

kemra said...

I'm so sorry - poor little guy! I hope that he is feeling better soon! I'll never sit my carseat on the table again - I am guilty of doing it too!

Ry & Kenna said...

Hey Sarah! Thank you for your sweet comments on our blog. I just read your mother's day story about Braxton falling, I'm so sorry, I bet that was so scary. You are an amazing mom though and I'm so glad he is ok. So are you guys coming to visit us anytime soon? Ry said that he had talked to Justin about maybe you guys making a trip out here, but I was wondering if you guys had talked about it or not. That would be so fun though..I hope you guys get to come. We miss you and love you guys!

~McKenna

Heidi said...

Oh, I'm so sorry!! Poor you and poor little Braxton. Don't worry, he knows his Mommy loves him like crazy.
In a few years I'm going to call you up and say, "Sarah, do you remember Braxton's first fall? NOW I KNOW EXACTLY HOW YOU FELT!!"

Aimee said...

I definitely know how horrible it is to have those feelings, but I'm glad to know that Braxton and you are okay now.