Sunday, August 7, 2011

A Dream is a Wish the Heart Makes...

I was in the living room with Conrad early one morning, making the kids hot chocolate (they can't start their day without hot chocolate!) when Braxton suddenly runs in, eyes huge, hair a mess, staggering like a drunken man.

"MOM!" He said. "Santa Clause left me a present!" He started searching around the room frantically.
"Uh........" I stuttered as he tore apart the living room, "I think it was a dream, Braxton."
He stopped and looked at me like I'm crazy.
"Mom, no, Santa Claus left me a SHOOT GUN! And one for Bella too! Its over there!" And he runs over to where our Christmas tree usually stands.
"Braxton," I giggle "I think you had a dream. Its not time for Santa to come yet. Its not Christmas time."
"No, mom, Santa Claus gave me a shoot gun. Maybe its in my room." He dashed off to search for his treasure. I can't stop laughing at this point, but am feeling a bit bad too that there isn't going to be a present anywhere for my sweet boy. After a few minutes he comes walking back into the living room, looking dejected. My heart cracks a little for his dashed hopes.
"I'm sorry son. It must have been a dream. Dreams can seem really real sometimes, huh? But maybe when it IS Christmas time then Santa will bring you a shoot gun. Ok?"
Braxton's little freckled face was still and I could see his mind working, trying to figure out this mystery. "I thought he brought me a gun..." he lamented. My sweet boy. I never wished dreams could come true more in my life than at that moment.
A hug, kiss, and a warm sippy cup of hot chocolate and 10 minutes into Caillou, you were your happy self again. I was still laughing.

No comments: