Wednesday, August 24, 2011

I heard a quote a couple months ago at stake conference that has stuck with me and become part of my life. It was,

"Never let a problem to be solved become more important than a person to be loved."
I think about this every day. When my kids run through my newly mopped kitchen with fresh mud covering their feet. When all I want is peace and quiet and my children are playing the "who can scream the loudest game." When I FINALLY lay the baby down, only to have one or both hooligans run into my room laughing and screaming and wake him up again. All throughout my days situations happen where I am so tempted to lose patience with my children. And I do, alot. But EVERY time, this quote jumps into my brain. Its like the Lord is saying, "Ah Ah Ah, Sarah, remember!" And I have to stop, take a breath, and remind myself that its ok. I can mop the floor again. I can get the baby back to sleep, or enjoy peace and quiet that night when they are all dreaming in their beds. I have learned that its not worth the pain I see on their sweet little faces when I DO lose control. Because this life is all about relationships. Of everything we have here on this wonderful earth, that and our knowledge are the only things we are able to take with us. How sad would it be if I try so hard to make something right, only to make one of my children (or someone else) feel unloved along the way? Its something I am working on, and always will. I certainly haven't mastered it yet. But its always in my head, and I am grateful for that constant reminder. We could all use a little more love.

4 comments:

Kristin said...

Thank you for such a wonderful post!!! That quote is going up on the fridge to help me! Love it!

Amy said...

What a WONDERFUL reminder. Thank you...I needed this!

Amy said...

What a WONDERFUL reminder. Thank you...I needed this!

Matt and Jayna said...

I'm so glad that I checked your blog right now! This is my constant struggle EVERY day, especially with the new baby now. I pray for patience ALL the time. I REALLY needed to read this. Thank you!!