Sunday, March 23, 2008

Blue Lipped Braxton

My poor baby has had Thrush, a yeast infection in the mouth for the past month. It appears as little white spots, so I at first thought it was just dry skin, but when I finally found out it was an infection I was so sad! I felt like a horrible mother for letting him go so long without even knowing he was sick. He has been on oral anti-fungal medicine for two weeks and it didn't go away, so the next step was to paint his mouth blue with Gentian Violet (a TOPICAL first aid solution...yeah, I was not too keen on putting that all over in his mouth). So for five days my baby has had bright blue lips. Its definitely gotten some funny reactions from people! Unfortunately, today is the fifth day and still the infection has not gone away, so we may have to pay the doctor a visit soon. Wish him luck!


3 comments:

becki said...

I dunno know if this helps but make sure you boil all of his pacifiers and nipples in vinegar and water as well as any toys he may suck on. Also, if you breast feed put the topical stuff on you as well (not the purple stuff but the nystatton-sp?)

You can pass it back and forth to each other even if you don't have symptoms. It might help if you eat yogurt as well.

Hope it goes away soon. So sad!

dkstaker said...

NO fun!! I don't like that stuff. It is a pain to get rid of too! From what I have heard it is kind of painful for them too. Poor little guy! I hope he gets well soon.

Cori Carpenter said...

Poor little Braxton...I hope the visit to the doctors went okay today! It's never fun when they're sick! It will all be fine soon, I am sure!...I love the pictures with tigger!!