Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Angles Among Us

I had an experience the other day that a witness to me that the Lord does hear and answer my prayers.

We were in a friend's backyard playing and I was swinging Conrad. The swing was like one you would see at a park - a bar across the front but no straps. It was attached to the ceiling on the back porch. I didn't think anything of it since I was standing right there swinging him and he isn't big enough to climb out on his own. Braxton asked if he could push him, and I said "sure" but warned him to swing him softly, then turned for a few seconds to admire a fruit tree behind me. Literally, it was like two seconds. When I turned back around, what I saw made my heart slam into the concrete floor beneath me. Braxton was standing behind the swing looking panicked, and my sweet baby boy was dangling completely upside down from the swing that had somehow been turned over. It took me no more than 2 seconds to leap to his side, but every millisecond it took me to get there I pictured him falling a thousand times to the hard concrete below. And yet, hanging completely upside down from a swing with no straps, his arms flailing and body wiggling in fear, he didn't budge until I could grab him and pull him into the safety of my arms.

I pray every night for angels to watch over my children and be by their side constantly to guard and protect them, and I witnessed firsthand the answer to my prayers that day. I don't have any doubt in my mind there was an angel holding my little baby in that swing until I could get him out. There is no other way he could have been held in there. My prayers were much longer that night. :) I thanked the Lord over and over that He listens to the pleas of a mother's heart and sends his angels to be my children's guardians. And I am so grateful for a loving Father who loves me enough to make my concerns His own and watches out for my family.


"Oh I believe there are angels among us.
Sent down to us from somewhere up above.
They come to you and me in our darkest hour.
To show us how to live, to teach us how to give.
To guide us with the light of love."
Angels Among Us, Alabama

3 comments:

Celeste said...

That is so scary! I am so happy he is safe and Mommy is okay! There are definitely angels among us, you are right about that!

Tasha said...

Hey Sarah - just hopped over here from a link on Aileen's blog. Hope you don't mind if I check in every now and then. :)
What a story! That is so scary! I think the only way any of us can be "qualified" to be mothers is through the constant help of those angels you talk about. Thank you for your testimony. It was a beautiful reminder for me.
Also, I LOVE the music you have on your blog. I always hate blog hopping and suddenly getting inundated with LOUD obnoxious music from someone's playlist. Your's is so calming. I might just keep it on a little longer. :)

Nettie said...

This made me cry.