Sunday, May 15, 2011

Help!! And other random sentimental ramblings

So I need some help/advise from all you mommies out there.


Bella has learned how to climb out of her crib. She comes into our room multiple times each night and climbs into bed with Justin and I, and no amount of bribery or coaxing will get her back into her own bed. I have to wait until she falls back asleep (which sometimes is hours) and then take her back to her bed, praying she doesn't wake back up on the way. I wouldn't mind so much if I didn't have an infant that I was already waking up with multiple times a night, but if I now have to deal with Bella too I will be a walking zombie. I've done that before. Its no fun. Braxton was older when he started climbing out of his crib and was sleeping better at night than Bella is, so this is new territory for me. Plus I was able to go into his room to lay next to him to help him fall back asleep. I can't do that with Bella anymore...Conrad needs me more. (And because I am TIRED of being TIRED and not getting any sleep!) I am frustrated. We were FINALLY at a good place with her being able to put herself back to sleep after minimal crying each night, and the second she learned she could escape her little cage, that all went out the window! SO...what do I do?!?!

On a more nostolgic note, I sat at stared at the new toddler bed we got for her for a long time after putting it in her room and had to hold back the tears. I can't believe my baby girl is already almost 2, and out of her little baby crib. I'm not ready for her to be in a "big girl" bed yet! And Conrad is almost outgrowing his bassinet and will need that crib here soon. Why do they have to grow so fast? I try to cherish every precious moment I have with them, and still my sweet babies are slipping through my fingers and growing into children. Next thing I know they will be going on missions or off to college or getting married and LEAVING ME! While I watched Braxton fall asleep the other night I thought about what it will be like when he leaves on a mission, and I felt such panic already. My little boy is going to someday leave me to go into the world, and I won't be there to hold him or kiss his owies or wipe away his tears or tickle him or see his beautiful smiles and hear his bubbly laughter. And then he is going to come home and get married and ya know, for a moment while I stared at my little boy I suddenly understood why some mothers strongly dislike their daughter-in-laws! That boy is MINE! :) I have been here and cared for him, and will be here to care for him through every moment of his life, an to think that there will someday be another woman in his life that will be his world....it makes my heart hurt. I sometimes get impatient and can't wait for these babies to grow up so I can sleep a full night through again, or go shopping without having a meltdown, or pee without having kids screaming at the door, or have a clean house for an entire day...but then I have to remind myself that there will come a time when I long for these insane days, and I force myself to again cherish these moments, no matter how crazy they make me now. I am grateful to be the mother of these precious children. I just hope I can be the mother they deserve. I know I have a long way to go...

5 comments:

Kristin said...

OH girl, you made me cry! It's so hard to think about your children growing up and not needing you anymore. It makes me sad too. I was just at a time out for women conference this weekend and had such a realization about this same topic...I'll probably post about it later, so check in with me!
On the whole climbing out of the crib thing...you don't have to take my advice or even listen to it...but I have a few ideas. And it's not gonna hurt anyone's feelings whatever you decide to do. EVERY KID IS DIFFERENT! But what I found to work with my twins...sounds kind of mean, but sometimes that's what it takes! I didn't give my girls a chance to climb out of their cribs. When we moved into our new house, the girls were turning two...and I knew moving into a new place was gonna be a big change. As is your new baby...which is probably encouraging Bella's new behavior! I don't know...I'm not a doctor! But...I moved my girls into big girl beds right away. That way they could deal with all the new changes at once. I put a child proof lock on the girls door handle so they couldn't get out. SOUNDS SO MEAN! But they absolutely learned real quick that bed time is bed time. They cried a little and then would put themselves back in bed when they got too tired. If the crying was too much, I would go back in, lay them in their bed and tell them goodnight again. But that's it. Don't lay with them or do anything else. It's soooo hard and seems soooo harsh..but it worked! I really hope you can figure out what works for you and your family! Your babies are so sweet and I'm glad I can keep in touch with your through your beautiful blog!!!!

Lindsay said...

I agree 100% with Kristin. While I didn't have to deal with Ella climbing out when she was still in her crib, I would do the same thing. We have a child proof door lock on Ella's so she can't get out, and honestly, it will stay there until she is night trained and needs access to the bathroom. It does sound mean to lock them in, but it is so much safer with them being in their room than having full access to the house during them night. Good luck and I hope you can get rest soon!

3in3mom said...

I agree with the other comments. It is super hard, but she's probably missing Mommy a little since she has new competition. Give her extra loves and kisses and reassure her that she's ok and loved and before you know it she'll be fine with sleeping again.

I loved your sweet comments about your kiddos. They are darling --cherish every minute! HUGS

Nettie said...

This was the sweetest post. Another idea....some people in my ward have a crib tent. It's a little see-through mesh dome that fastens to the crib. It has a zipper door so you have put them in and out. They had a climber that could unlock the front door, so it was dangerous. They weren't as comfortable with locking his door. Not that that's a bad idea. Anyway...I'll be praying you can get some rest. You're the cutest mom, ever.

mom said...

I couldn't have have asked for a better daughter-in-law. Justin is a luckey man to have such a devoted wife and mother to his children. Thank-you